We don’t think you need an expensive trip to Pottery Barn to get your room really looking great. Most of the time, making a tired and cluttered space feel fresh and clean is just a matter of looking at what you have in a new way. So, here are nine of our favorite tricks for turning overlooked trash into the beloved centerpiece of a room.
1. Got an old dresser that’s falling apart? Salvage the drawers for dimensional wall hangings that meet somewhere between shelves and art.
2. An old ladder + some two-by-fours = an interesting, bohemian bookcase. For added interest, think about painting the whole thing a fun color. This season, it’s all about dark teal or cranberry.
3. Old dressers and armoires actually make fabulous home bars.
4. Proud of your pretty, matched luggage? When you’re not using it, stack it next to your bed as a nightstand.
5. Save your beautiful old perfume and liquor bottles. It’s a pity to throw them away when they can become such beautiful light fixtures.
6. Recycle old windows into unusual picture frames with a vintage feel.
7. We’re starting to think that window shutters might be better organizational boards than they are window shutters.
8. Take an ugly lampshade off a lamp, and you’re left with a ready made jewelry rack.
9. An old door is just the right size and shape to make a really stunning headboard for a king-size bed.